The Authors Guild has responded to the court verdict regarding the Hathi Trust earlier this week, saying in a site post that "we disagree with nearly every aspect of the court’s ruling. We're especially disappointed that the court refused to address the universities' 'orphan works' program, which defendants have repeatedly promised to revive." Executive director Paul Aiken writes of his concern that "the temptation to find reasons to release these digitized books clearly remains strong, and the university has consistently pledged to reinstate the orphan works program. The court’s decision leaves authors around the world at risk of having their literary works distributed without legal authority or oversight." The Guild says, "We'll be discussing the decision with our colleagues and co-plaintiffs in Europe, Canada, and Australia and expect to announce our next steps shortly."
- Time's Michael Grunwald to Collaborate with Tim Geithner on His Book 25 May 2013, 9:42 pm
- Hillary Clinton June 2014 Memoir Announced for Pre-Orders; 320 Pages for $40 Print/$16.99 � $19.99 eBook 24 May 2013, 9:46 pm
- Retailer Report Says Barnes & Noble Foot Traffic Rose Significantly in First Quarter 24 May 2013, 12:30 pm
- More On Cost Cutting, Exodus At Granta; Freeman "Decided it was a good time to get out. And I quit" 23 May 2013, 5:57 pm
- NYPL's Helen Bernstein Book Award to Katharine Boo 23 May 2013, 5:29 pm
- Friday Reads for BEA May 24, 2013
- Ingram Announces Broader Printing Program May 24, 2013
- More on Granta Cost-Cutting, Exodus May 24, 2013
- Apple's Biggest Obstacle? Judge Cote Already Thinks They Are Guilty May 24, 2013
- News Corp. Approves Separation; Aims for June 28 May 24, 2013
- Penguin Blinks on Agency Model Civil Suit: [...] to Publishers Lunch, “As the last to settl...
- Further ruminations about the complex notion of scale in publishing - The Shatzkin Files: [...] their scale. They’re now seeing Google...
- Amazon Gives Authors New World of Options | Digital Book World: [...] Penguin Pays Through the Nose (Pub Lunch) La...
- Abandoning Amazon | Digital Book World: [...] publishers may find this out-of-the-box solu...
- Sarah Weinman: Hi Jon, Yes, we\'ve been alerted about this, than...